Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Long Overdue

I apologize for being a bad blogger. I’d like to say, “Oh, I’ve been sooo busy since it’s the holidays and all…” But I don’t want to lie to you. I haven’t been “sooo busy” at all. I mean, I do my fair share of getting out and about, but really…I lead a pretty simple life. Most days consist of: work, gym, dinner, cleaning up from dinner, folding some laundry, watching a TV show, and going to bed. There’s the occasional girls night or dinner date, but really that’s about it. Last weekend was a bust – Sean ended up working a lot, which meant I was able to do some shopping, but then I just sat around the house. I didn’t feel very well so I slept a lot. You know what I was just thinking….What about those people with 3 kids and 2 dogs? People love to do that around here. How do they do it? I just look at them and wonder whey they’re not all partially bald from ripping their hair out. About a year ago, Sean and I gained temporary custody of my sister’s dog for 2 months and it nearly killed me. Sister’s mini-Chihuahua came to live with us (she was in the midst of a college housing fiasco and he wasn’t allowed to stay with her), and so we took him in. Tini (that was his name) was the cutest little thing you ever saw, and he was small, too. And all his stuff was small….but I still felt like he had taken over our entire house. Every where I turned there was a bone, a toy, a bed, a blanket, a collar. AHHHH! (Imagine a scene from Psycho with all the sharp camera angles and the screeching violins in the background….it was like that.)

So this dog…he took over our house. I loved him and enjoyed his company, but I just don’t think I could do it again. It wasn’t just the dog junk that bothered me, but I started worrying about him all the time. I worried that he was lonely or sad or scared…and he wasn’t even my dog!!! I had knots in my stomach, and I’m pretty sure I gave myself an ulcer worrying over him. I was so relieved when he finally moved out.

But I digress…I decided to get back on track with posting after gaining some inspiration from my favorite blogger, B-side. Sherri was the one who first introduced me to B-side when he was contributing to TVGasm.com (a website devoted to recapping popular TV shows). B-Sides posts made me laugh out loud, so when he stopped writing for TVGasm, I was disappointed and I quit going to the site altogether. I mean, he was the only reason I went there in the first place. Well, a whole year has passed and I'm sorry to say that I haven't thought about B-Side in a long time....until now. Sherri stumbled upon B-Side’s new blog! She is the best…and so is B-Side. I've enjoyed catching up on his posts. I MISSED YOU B-SIDE!

One of my favorite things about B-Side is his conversational style of writing – that, along with his genius wit and catty remarks. (I do love some good old fashioned bitchiness. Who doesn’t? Don’t kid yourself – it’s funny.) His blogs are also lengthy, but I appreciate that. I have a tendency to get a little long-winded and over-descriptive myself, so I can totally relate to him. Thus far, I’ve been trying to refrain from carrying on too long in my own posts, but today as I was reading up on B-Side I was thinking “Screw it! I’m writing as much as I want to from now on!” So, like it or not, that’s exactly what I’m doing today.

If you’re curious about B-Side, check out his blog – www.thisblogismine.com and read a few of his posts. The first post (at the bottom) is especially funny.

But just in case you’ve decided to continue reading this entry from Yours Truly, I wanted to share my experience from the Kelly Clarkson concert with you. I meant to post all the details the day following the concert, but I was too busy doing my favorite thing in the world – lying around – and it just never happened. Sadly, I’m afraid my procrastination has hindered my ability to properly recap the show. Someone once told me I had “amazing recapping abilities,” and I’d like to believe it was at least half way true.

Jolene and I bought tickets the day they went on sale. We had been planning on going for MONTHS. Kelly's stop in Nashville was initially scheduled to be at the arena, but that tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sales. We were ecstatic when we found out the tour was brought back and that Kelly would be playing the Ryman. THE RYMAN! So we had 7th row seats…it was glorious. And for those of you fortunate enough to have been to the Ryman, you understand the feeling you get right before a show starts…the lights go down…and you can feel the intense energy in the room. It’s a beautiful venue full of history with amazing acoustics, but I don’t want to bore you with all those details. Let’s talk about important issues like Kelly’s CELLULITE. I’m not trying to knock her – I genuinely like her music, and I think she has one of the greatest singing voices ever. But seriously – who put her in those pants? Why? The shame….But after I finished staring at the cottage cheese on her thighs, I settled down and enjoyed the show. She sang a lot from “Behind these Hazel Eyes,” and I was glad because I’m not very familiar with her new material.

Kelly was a regular Chatty Cathy in between songs, and she even slipped into a few moments of “bubbly high school girl,” but that was Ok, I guess. It made her seem more real and down to earth. I’d much rather her carry on saying, “Um…yeah…like…this one time, at band camp…” instead of sounding scripted and “I’m too Emo to talk to the crowd….” Yeah, she was better as Chatty Cathy, and her Texas accent was super cute. Apparently, Patty Griffin is Kelly’s favorite artist, and she covered one of Patty’s songs. Y’all, it nearly brought me to tears – dead serious. I believe the song was “Up to the Mountain,” and it was all Gospel-like. I don’t know if it was the song itself, or Kelly’s voice, or the fact that I got all nostalgic because I used to L-O-V-E Love Patty Griffin’s “Living with Ghosts” album….but something sure made me want to cry right there in the pews. I was so absorbed in the song…I was hanging on to every note, and I was sliding my hand along the pew in front of me. The wood was so soft and worn down from years and years of music fans standing in the same spot where I was at that moment. Goosebump City.

No comments: