Sunday, May 18, 2008

social season

Every year as the seasons change and the flowers begin to bloom so does our social calendar. The days are longer, everyone comes out from hibernation and we decide it's time to see each other again. I love this time of year because I crave social activity. I especially craved it this year after being laid up in the bed for 2 weeks straight. Cinco de Mayo came just as I was feeling well enough to go out again, and what better place to celebrate than our favorite Mexican restaurant Nachos. Mmmmm MMmm! Sean and I met our friends Britt and Jill for a Mexican feast and margaritas. We devoured boat loads of salsa, cheese dip and some sort of chorizo au gratin that Beto concocted for us.


Our next date with Britt and Jill was a wine event at the Factory to raise money for the historic Franklin theatre. We dawned our coctail duds and sipped on many different red wines -- some good and some disgusting -- while mingling and trying to make our way into a VIP Magazine shot. Sadly, I don't have any pictures from the evening, but trust me - I'm pretty sure we were all looking fabulous that night. If we make it into the magazine, I'll be sure to scan in the picture for your viewing pleasure.

And finally, this past Friday we were out with Britt and Jill again; this time for the Franklin Rodeo. I had an absolute blast! I just wish it would've lasted longer. Maybe next year I'll try to go all three nights. Mutton Bustin', barrel racing and bull riding - what more could a girl ask for? I think I have a thing for the cowboys. Sean, dig out them boots from the back of your closet, baby!



A couple of weeks ago, I invited all of my work friends over for a family cookout. It was so nice to hang out with everyone in a non-work setting and spend time with their spouses and kids. Since Sean and I have nothing that even resembles a toy in our house, we decided to buy some bubbles and balls for the 3 kids that were coming over. It seemed to work just fine, and I think they actually enjoyed playing in the back yard. Sherri and Keith stayed behind after everyone left, and Sherri and I killed an entire pitcher of Miss Billie's Punch. Below is the evidence that we had ourself a good ole time! This is what I found in the fridge the next morning. Yes, folks, the pitcher is bone dry.


In other friend news, my best friend Jolene is moving off to California this week. We've known each other for close to 20 years now. Sean and I popped into a going away party for her to say good bye and wish her well. She'll be living in the OC at her grandma's place and finishing up school. Hopefully I can save up some money for a ticket out to the West coast. I haven't spent much time in California. To be honest, it intimidates me. I mean, have you watched The Hills? Yea, I need to lose about 30 more pounds and have a breast augmentation before I go out there. So, good luck Jolene!!!!! We love you!



This morning we had brunch with our pals Luca and Adrienne. It was a quick visit because they were just in town overnight for a wedding. Sean and I decided that we need to get back to Atlanta soon because we really love haning out with them. And guys, I promise this time we won't make you spend 3 hours in Ikea!

As I get ready for my 2nd full week at the new job, I find myself a little nervous. Last week was such a whirlwind. I just hope I can find some focus or some rhythm or something that at least resembles organization! It will also be the first time I attempt going back to the gym. I'm looking forward to doing that more than anything. Before I sign off, I wanted to share a picture of my beautiful orchid. Since I don't have pets or kids, this is really the only thing I can brag about. I killed my last orchid so I'm hoping to be a better caretaker this time around. So far I have 2 new blooms! (they grew from the pods you see in the picture below). This plant was a gift from Tom and Ann after my surgery. Isn't it beautiful!? Dear Orchid, Please stay alive forever!


No comments: