Saturday, December 27, 2008

Becoming Gene Simmons

Halloween is my favorite holiday, and each year I find myself obsessing over a costume months in advance. This year I went with the most natural choice - Gene Simmons. With a tongue as long as mine, the transition is quite easy. I've used this costume in the past, but it had been a few years since anyone saw me in the paint. This year I added some metal flair to my all-black clothing, and I was quite pleased with the outcome.

Step #1: Tease Hair
I like to call this picture "There's Something about Stacey"

Step #2: Begin outlining The Demon face

Outlining is the most difficult step because you have to draw to scale. See, Gene has a tremendously large forehead, so when I draw on my face I have to adjust the scale quite a bit.

Step #3: Fill in the outlines with black and white paint. This is a very tedious process. The whole thing combined takes about an hour.

Sean rigged up a Lego Man costume the night before. His procrastination sometimes stresses me out. In the end, the costume came together and it was a big hit.

We took our costume show on the road and went to a Halloween party at The Greenhouse bar in Nashville. It was really poorly put together, but we had a good time with Sherri and Keith.

Sherri and Keith went as Skeleton Sweatshirt Man and Daphne from Scooby Doo.


Sean's costume came with many challenges. He had limited visibility, and no one could hear him talking. Needless to say, he felt isolated most of the night. This costume could also be called "The Yellow Helen Keller." Thank goodness he added a built in drink holder to his Lego hand.

One of my favorite costumes of the night was the Oompa Loompa. P.S. he didn't bring any chocolate with him.




No comments: