Saturday, September 12, 2009

Gwenyth Paltrow is trying to kill me

It's about 10 p.m. on Saturday night. Sean mowed the yard and spent the rest of the day watching football. I did a bit of kitting with my friend Bethany this morning. We went to Bliss Yarns in Brentwood - always a wonderful experience! I taught her how to knit, and I started working on a hat to wear this fall. I spent the rest of the day doing domestic chores (and Sean pitched in, too!).

Last night we went to see Trevor sing with his new band. He is a total rockstar, and really knows how to work a crowd. It's not really my style of music, but I enjoyed his singing. Boy's got a great pair of pipes!

Tomorrow will probably be more domestic stuff, like getting organized for the week, paying bills, finishing laundry, etc. We've been playing it low-key since we got home from the beach. We enjoyed the better part of last week sunning on the beach, gorging on delicious seafood, and doing a little bit of shopping. Because of our recent over-indulging (ok, maybe "recent" isn't the right word - we've been doing this all summer), I decided it was time to clean up my act. More specifically, I wanted to clean up up my eating act. While we were in Destin, I noticed that my jeans were snug, I was bloated and having indigestion (sexy, i know...) So, I made up my mind to go on a 7 day diet called Cleanse.

A few months ago, I caught a late night show with Gwenyth Paltrow as a guest. I really like Gwenyth, and I'd like to think we'd be friends if I, too, were a famous movie star. Of course, Gwenyth was perfectly lovely throughout the interview, and she was promoting her website Goop.com. She also recommended this Cleanse diet that she tried, and said it was successful for her. So, I don't know why, but I wanted to try it, and I thought now would be the perfect time.

First, you should know that I modified the diet to suit my taste and lifestyle. The 7 day menu requires lots of blender use. Instead of making a different soup every day, I decided to stick to 1 soup - homemade miso soup. And instead of the various "breakfasts" they suggested, I'm sticking to the Blueberry Smoothie. Other than that, the diet is basically lots and lots of veggies and liquids. No sugars, no breads, no animal fat, no fruit (except for the blueberries), no caffine, no added salt, and no dairy. The dinners each night are steamed tilapia and steamed greens.

Remember those scenes in I Love Lucy when Lucy would start obnoxiously crying? Yah, that's what I feel like doing right now. I'm not used to this dieting thing. I'm in detox mode, my body is craving EVERYTHING, and I don't like it. I've been hungry for 2 days. GWENYTH PALTROW IS TRYING TO KILL ME!!! No, not really. I've actually been eating a fair amount of calories, considering that this is a cleansing detox diet and everything...

I'm not expecting to lose weight - that's not the purpose of this exercise for me (although, a few pounds would be nice. I'll let you know the outcome). I was just feeling so icky on the inside that I wanted to rid my body of that feeling. I want to eat extremely clean food and get my focus back on healthy eating.

Day 2 is already over, and I know I can make it through day 3 tomorrow. As for days 4-7...those are going to be difficult.

I'll leave you with a few pictures from our trip to the beach. Ciao


Waiting to have dinner at Red Bar in Grayton Beach


Adrienne, Luca, and Sean are ready to dig into our homemade feast:
mussels, shrimp, steak, salad, risotto, and garlic bread


Hanging out at the beach -
we played frisbee, paddle ball (which we sucked at), people-watched,
and of course, worked on our tans


While getting 36 oysters at The Boat House, we got to hear a man play the saw.
yup - just a saw...the kind that cuts wood


View from our condo - Luau at Sandestin

Jordano's famous 3-inch-deep-toppings pizza. You want some?


Looking up at our high rise

The last sunset - it was sad times. We had a great time at the beach, and especially loved having Luca and Adrienne there with us to share in the fun.

And yes, even MORE oysters


No comments: