Sunday, September 25, 2011

C'mon Get Happy

August was great and then, not so great. Kind of all at the same time. Does that make sense? It was crazy, busy, fun, good, happy, bad and sad. I realize regular life includes all of the above, but August felt incredibly intense. Come to think of it, so does September.
Some August Highlights:
.I resumed weekly visits with my "Little Sister"
.New tenants at the Yellow House, which involved lots of cleaning and a mild amount of stress
.Wedding showers, dinner with new friends, visits with my grandmother, traveling for work, daily sessions at the gym in preparation for our trip to The Beach...

...and then, of course, there was the actual trip to The Beach itself.

Somewhere in the middle of it all, Sean received a long-awaited job offer, I was awarded Employee of the Month title, and then we found out Murphy has doggy lymphoma. We celebrated with each other, and cried with each other. The highs have been high, and the lows...well, they're a bit stinky.
Here we are at the end of September, and I now have a big case of The End of Summer Blues. The browning of leaves, the freezing 70 degree temperatures, and football - they grab my heart, rip it out, and stomp its ass on the ground. Each year I try to fight it, and fight it HARD. I'm seriously considering the purchase of a sun therapy lamp. Now more than ever I have to make a conscious effort to stay focused on the positive - things like making a giant pot of chili, a new season of Parenthood, date nights with Sean by our fire pit, and my favorite holiday Halloween.

I can't help but shed a small tear as I vacuum pack my bathing suits into the storage bag. And I'll be shedding actual tears when it comes time to say good bye to our sweet pup. I guess the fact that I'm here on earth to experience sadness and cry a little bit is a Good Thing. It means I'm real. Means I'm alive, and I can't complain about that.





No comments: