Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Worst Recipe Ever


I should have known better than to trust one of Robin Miller's recipes. She's hardly a chef, and it's obvious that she's just Food Network filler. Anthony Bourdain would be so disappointed in me if he ever found out about this...But Sean and I were desperate for something to watch on TV last weekend, and we came across her stupid show and her stupid recipe: Roasted Miso Salmon with Lemon and Cilantro with Rosemary Roasted Yukons.

I'm always looking for ways to jazz up the same ole entrees. Salmon is one of our favorite fish (probably because it's more fatty), but I haven't been very creative with the tastes. I don't like dill, so usually my salmon is pan seared with some Spanish flavors, a little caynne and chili powder for heat, and served over a black bean and corn salsa. It's good, but it's getting old. Robin had a creative twist on salmon that seemed like something we would enjoy. Sean asked me to put the dish down on our weekly menu, and so I did.
Warning: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

Roasted Miso Salmon with Lemon and Cilantro with Rosemary Roasted Yukons
Cooking spray
6 salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice wine (mirin)
1 tablespoon miso paste
4 Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons freshly chopped rosemary leaves
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray. Season salmon with salt and black pepper and place in roasting pan. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, rice wine and miso paste. Brush mixture all over salmon in pan.

In a large bowl, combine potatoes, oil, garlic, rosemary, and salt and black pepper to taste. Toss to coat potatoes. Arrange potatoes alongside salmon (or on a separate baking sheet if there's not enough room).
Roast salmon and potatoes 20 to 25 minutes, until fish and potatoes are fork-tender.
Serve 4 of the salmon fillets with the cilantro sprinkled over top and all of the potatoes on the side. Reserve remaining salmon for salad.

The problem here is that the cook times are WAY off. I should have known better just from looking at it. I feel like I've been duped, like I've fallen into some kind of Food Network trap. But like I said, I knew better than to believe that potatoes would roast at 400F for 20 minutes. I'm not very happy with the network or with Robin Miller right now. Robin failed to mention that, once completed, the salmon will be overcooked and the potatoes will still be crunchy. Even after putting the potatoes back into the oven (sans salmon) and cooking them for an extra 20 minutes, they still weren't "roasted."She pretty much ruined our dinner last night.

I threw the recipe away this morning. Next time I'll use my own skillz when making Asian-inspired Salmon.

No comments: